Friday, August 09, 2013

Love for Singapore

I realised that my love for Singapore has grown over this year, especially in the recent months, and of course today; Singapore's 48th birthday. As I watched the national day parade on TV today, I felt very touched in many parts of the programme. And mind you, I don't watch TV and this may be the first time in quite a few years I really sat down, eager to watch the show. As I saw the performers performed on stage, I put myself in their shoes, they may be complaining about the long hours of practices for this parade, but ultimately, when we performed on stage for Singapore and represented Singapore, we will definitely feel very proud for being able to be part of it. I pray that these performers will grow their love for Singapore and never forget the glory and honour for being able to perform for Singapore. I watched the testimonies of people from all walks of life telling their life stories and how proud and blessed they are to be Singaporeans.

For myself, I used to think that national day parade is really boring because the things that they perform every year is almost the same and I dislike going to the parade because its really hot and we have to squeeze on public transports to get home afterwards. I felt really guilty when I think about it again, because this day only happens once a year, and we are all celebrating the nation's birthday. Its not about how hard it is to get there or go home, not about how similar the performances may seem and not about how good the goodie bags are, its about the passion and love for Singapore that these people are hoping to get tickets to go down in person and eagerly joining everyone else to celebrate together. I told myself, I will apply for NDP tickets next year and hope I can go down once again, now with a different mindset, with much more love for Singapore than ever before.

I feel so blessed to be a Singaporean, that we are able to speak both English and Chinese, which are dominantly used in the Western countries as well as China and Taiwan etc. We are blessed to be able to communicate to many people from all over the world.

I feel so honoured to be holding a Singapore passport, where VISAs are so easily approved, and where there is short term vacation, we basically don't even need to apply for one. I feel so blessed when I went for my graduation trip as a Singaporean. I went to Tibet and Nepal, and in Tibet we are able to communicate with the locals in Chinese and they were really happy to talk to us when they knew we could speak Chinese. In Nepal we are able to speak English and interact with them without any difficulties.

I feel that God is growing my love for this country more because He wants me to stay in Singapore to mould the people's lives through teaching the secondary school students, to impact and change their mindsets as Christ use me and work through me to bring light unto them.

Aspiration. This word seems so distant from me ever since I was young, because I had no ambition like many other children; I didn't aspire to be a lawyer, doctor, teacher or accountant. But now, it seems like its crystal clear and is becoming a stronghold deep-rooted in my heart: I aspire to bring light into people's lives whatever God has asked me to do. And I pray that God will open this door of teaching for me as the day of the interview outcome for my teaching application is getting nearer in the next 2 weeks. I pray that He will use me greatly, all I need to do is to have a willing heart to be moulded by God, to be used by God.

No comments: