Wednesday, August 28, 2013

God really opened this door :D

I can't believe it. Its real. 6 months after sending in my application, 4 months plus to schedule an interview, 6 weeks to wait for the final outcome, its finally over.

To think that I applied in faith in February because i thought that was what God wanted me to go into, there was not a single call for interview until 3 months later, 1 week before I went for my grad trip. During that 3 months I was asking God, if this is what You wanted me to go into, why isn't there any interview? God didn't reply. He was asking me to wait. I gave up the idea of teaching and applied for hotel and IRAS. One I gave up halfway after I got into the third round of interview, the other I got rejected after 2 rounds. Right on the day of my 2nd IRAS interview, I was at Harbourfront Kopitiam tabaoing food for my final lg at the rooftop. After tabaoing, I received a 'blocked' call. Hesitantly, I picked up the call and it was MOE! I was shocked by this surprise call after 3 months of application that I thought it was absurd that they took 3months to get back to me. This lady asked me if I am still interested in teaching and if I have any job offers yet. I said no, and she gave me an interview date, which was 2 days after I was about to fly off for grad trip. Bad timing. I asked if they could call me back in June to schedule another interview. She said she will tell me again. I hung up. At that time I felt confused, do I still want to go into teaching? My mind was in confusion. I just threw teaching to the back of my mind since I can't go for the interview until much later. Alas, I didn't do well for my 2nd round at IRAS and I got rejected two days after. Was God trying to tell me something that day after my 2nd interview? lol.

After rejection, I felt wounded. hahah.  I sought God and asked Him for assurance and show me which is the path He desires me to take. Halfheartedly, I hold onto the faith and was reminded initially God indeed hinted me to teach, so I emailed MOE and asked for an interview after I got rejected by IRAS. lol. Partly I felt lazy to search for jobs, and I was really not interested in any financial positions, banking positions and even accounting positions -.-. People around me kept probing me to try it out, cus I will never know until I step into it. But if I feel this way, how am I going to struggle and trying hard to convince myself that they are suitable for me and I will find joy in?

During the period after my IRAS rejection, I felt really down inside me, though I didn't show it out at all. In fact I told someone that I believe that God has a greater plan for me. Instead, she told me I was overly optimistic and opportunistic, some sort of telling me to not be in denial but in reality. I felt a little stab in my heart at that point in time, but I know shes trying to spur me on to look for jobs. Well, I really believe God has a greater plan. But not sitting down and doing nothing if I don't help myself.

So after the two incidents of EY Tax and OCBC position being said previously, God has comforted me and assured me of my self-worth in the world and much more precious in His eyes.

I finally got an interview scheduled on 17 July Wednesday. I wanted to give my best shot. I talked to myself infront of my mirror why I wanted to be a teacher, I typed out why I wanted to be a teacher, I bought a POA textbook and I borrowed a sec 2 Maths TB from my cousin to see which topic I should select to present to the interviewers for my 5min presentation. On that day, I woke up early, make up myself, dressed well and reached the place 1 hour before my interview and I began to read what I have written; my presentation and all the possible questions to be answered.

I was asked to write an essay before my interview. I picked the safest question: Which do you think is the most important quality of being a teacher? ..., Respect, Caring, Integrity, Understanding. The other question I remembered was Would you add your students on your personal FB account? Why n why not? -.- so controversial, I wouldn't want to risk my image being ruined. lol

I wrote Caring is the most important quality, but of course all the other qualities play an important role as well. I explained why a teacher needs to be caring, not only to deliver lessons clearly, but also caring to find out if all the students are able to understand, caring to know if students are facing any difficulties outside school, caring to find out the lives of the students. I ended with the sentence that as long as a teacher has genuine love towards the students, then each and every quality would naturally be displayed towards the students. Anyhow, the interview only last for 15 min and I thought they didn't ask enough for me to impress myself. lol. Feeling nervous for 5 whole weeks, I decided to send an email to ask about the outcome. They replied 3 days later telling me they are still processing and will contact me as soon as they finalise. I was wondering what are the chances that they will think and consider for 6 weeks before replying to the candidate -.-?

I really had a lot of doubts, but I decided to trust that God will open this door, because if this is really what He wants me to go into like I perceived from Him in the first place, He will definitely fulfill His promise to me. At the same time I can browse the job sites for hours but still end up with nothing.

On and off I told God, 'I believe that teaching is what You have called me into, and I want to fulfill Your purpose for me in my life, making use of the gifts You have entrusted me with and stretching me even further as I stepped into the teaching world. Provide for me, I want to glorify You with this job.'
And the recent HopeSem, something that the teacher said struck me. He said 'Don't ask God to bless you so that you can be a channel of blessing and in the end you use the blessings for yourself. If you ask God to bless you, SO THAT ..... then deliver the promise you've given to God when He really blesses you.' Then I asked myself, did I really said that to God? I think so. That gave me assurance that what I asked and requested God will provide for me and bless me. 

I still purpose deactivated my silent mode so that if they call i can wake up n answer it-.- lol ki siao liao. 

On the morning of 27 Aug at 10.48am, I had a fast roller coaster ride of emotions within 1 minute. The birdie of my iPhone chirped as an email came in. Somehow I just got that feeling its not Groupon or some other deals, I just get this feeling THAT WAS IT! I quickly unlocked my iPhone and looked at my Inbox. OMG, its really from MOE. Siao liao, sure get rejected already, just look at the heading of the email 'Dear Li Qingyun, Thank you for taking the time to attend the selection interview. We...'. We? I formed the rest of the sentence in my mind before I opened the email. "We regret to inform you that you have not been selected for the appointment of teaching position."

Without hesitation, I opened the email. "We are pleased to inform you that you have been shortlisted for employment as a General Education Officer.". HUH? Did I read wrongly? Let me read again. And again, and again. GOD!! ITS REALLY YOU!! I smiled so widely until my mouth sored, haven't been smiling so widely for so long. :)) Immediately I sent the screenshot of my email to every single one I treasure and all those who have been praying for me all this while. Thank God for them :) for encouraging me on this journey with me and listening to me. It has been a wonderful journey with God, a journey of leaning how to rely on Him, to understand His purpose, what to do to glorify Him and to wait upon Him patiently even at times when He does not answer. God is awesome, amazing and so real in my life :) another testimony of my life journey after He got my heart back in Brisbane :)

2 comments:

Chloe筱文 said...

I'm so happy for you dear sister (:
Always trust that God has ways that are higher than ours, He knows infinitely better :D

Li Qingyun said...

AMEN! :D wahahha