Tuesday, October 22, 2013

God's test in Korea

It was the last night in Korea and xc n I went to a roadside cart stall near to our guesthouse for supper at about 11pm. We wanted to experience eating BBQ stuffs n drink makgeolli like those in the TV dramas. I assumed that this sort of roadside tents would be cheap, so I didn't think twice about ordering. We ordered a small plate of chicken, chicken stomach, pork belly, mushrooms, 4 sticks of garlic and 1 bottle of makgeolli. These food were really yummy and the auntie was really friendly to us too.

Little did we expect that when I asked for the bill, the meal cost about $95 in total. $17 for 4 sticks of garlic, $17 for a bottle of makgeolli which I could conveniently bought it at $2 in the convenience store right beside..(and the auntie actually ran to the convenience store to buy a few bottles to stock up). At that point in time I was simply too shocked and overwhelmed to be able to calm myself down and seek for God's wisdom and His help. I knew I wouldn't have enough to pay and I felt really flustered.

Thank God there's a Singaporean man sitting beside us, he offered to pay the meal for us, like omg? I was about $25 short, so while he gave us the amount we needed, i asked xc to sit there and wait for me while i run back to the guesthouse on my own to get SGD. I ran along the streets filled with men who just walked out of the pubs and into the quiet dark alley towards my guesthouse. I quickly unlocked the door with my trembling hands n grabbed my SGD in my secret pouch. I decided to run to the convenience store to ask for directions to the money changer. and as expected, he hand-signaled me that they should be closed by now. I felt really devastated and panicked.

As I approached the stall again, xc was sitting there, her face of emotions filled with anger, doubt and 不甘愿。The recollection of this sight of her made me feel sorry for not seeking her in my decision making, and this bad experience on our last night in Korea. anyhow, I explained to the Singaporean man that we needed to change more cash for our pickup to the airport the next day, he quickly took out his wallet again and offered to give any amount we needed. I insisted that he should take my SGD in exchange for his won. Thank God for his generosity and heart to help out fellow Singaporeans overseas :) So in the end we paid the auntie n she bade us goodbye happily, and i was trying to force out a smile n waved back.

Through this valuable(really valuable literally,lol) experience, I learnt about my weaknesses, and the absolute need to calm down, be still, and know that there is God to seek advice from. God has been putting me to tests such as these; situations that will make me feel panicky and this is when my emotions will take hold of me and I was unable to be still and rely on God to lead me. I tend to resolve such situations using my own strength, depending on my own thoughts. Besides being more calm and seek God, I should also discuss w xc to come up with a better decision how to deal with the situation instead of taking it on single-handedly.

No matter what the outcome is, whether I could have paid less or I get cheated on, God is in absolute control of the situation. Even if I had to pay so much in the end, God is still in full control. Though He may feel disappointed with me cus I didnt seek Him during such crisis, He nonetheless still opened a way out for me to resolve the situation; sending a fellow generous Singaporean businessman to change currency, keeping me safe while I was alone running to get my SGD and xc while she was alone at the stall. I truly believe that even in such situations where theres so much to complain about it, theres also so much to be thankful for; and if I concentrate on those thankful moments, theres nothing to complain about :) I am quite shocked I didnt feel much pain losing that amount of money, thank God for protecting my heart :)

3 comments:

Chloe筱文 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chloe筱文 said...

Hey dear, 经一事长一智,下次就会更小心了!#hugs
Thank God that He has His ways & is always looking out for His children (:

Li Qingyun said...

haha xiexie chloe! :))